Friday, January 7, 2011

Sewing

One thing that I have wanted to do for awhile is to learn to sew.  In fact last Christmas (2009) I asked Ryan to get me a starter sewing machine as a present, which he did.  Unfortunately the machine sat in the box until November of this year almost a year later.  In my defense, we did have a quite an unusual year with Ryan starting a new job, living apart for 6 months, and then moving, but none-the-less I never took any time to look for lessons.  When we moved to Birmingham, I knew I wanted to make that a priority and I did.  After searching numerous sewing stores, I found a lady who teaches private lesson for a reasonable price.  In November I took my first set of 3 lessons.  Since I knew nothing about sewing, we had to start from the beginning and then I sewed my first pair of ruffled pants for Bailey.  The feeling of making something for my girls to wear that was reasonably priced and cute was so exciting for me.  I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would.  My teacher helped me cut out the pattern for Emma Catherine's pants and then I sewed hers all by myself at home.  I definitely had a few frustrating moments of not remembering a few of the steps, but after a couple of calls to my  mom, I completed her pants.  They are not perfect by any means, and I still have a ton to learn but they are wearable and I made them.  The pants look like this:
My mom is going to applique a shirt for them to wear with the pants and they will be ready to go.  I hope to continue sewing and I am definitely going to take more lessons and I hope to post new projects along the way.

As a side note, I am going to try to post more this year about our day to day life.  I have tended to get behind and then just post on the bigger events that we have had going on, but honestly, I want this blog to reflect our day to day life also.  We'll see how it goes, but I am going to try.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Yay for learning to sew! I've loved making things for my family and friends.

Cathy said...

you have done a wonderful job. the shirts are finished and will be mailed on monday. you should feel proud.
love to all
mom, mia, cathy

jeg said...

Way to go!! Those are super cute! I'm sure you will love making stuff for the girls.