Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My sister is a teacher!


I haven't shared too much on the blog about my family besides our immediate family of 4. I'm not really sure how they feel about being showcased for anyone to read, but I've been wanting to write this post for a little while now. I wanted everyone to know how proud I am of my sister, and I hope that she reads this and knows it too. We are 4 years apart in school which has kept us from sharing any schooling since elementary school. I always wished we could have shared at least 1 year together at Auburn, but it's just something that I've come to accept. I can now see the Lord's hand in it as well. You see, Lauren and I are somewhat different. We chose two different routes in high school and college, neither one wrong, just different. I chose the overly involved, sorority route and Lauren chose the athletic route. Our personalities are different as well. I am very type A and Lauren is a more go with the flow type person. She doesn't get easily rattled, like I do and she definitely can take a joke better than me. I know that God's provision of us being 4 years apart helped because she didn't have to live in my shadow while at school. I can be bossy and motherly toward her and I think the Lord knew that I might tell her what to do her entire freshman year at Auburn. The way it worked out, she got to make her own choices.

In high school she worked very hard in softball and she earned a scholarship to Auburn. I'm not sure how much you know about division I athletes, but they work their butts off. They wake up early to work out, practice after classes, and travel a ton, all the while having to keep up with school work. Lauren decided to major in education and did great at it. After graduating, she was offered a scholarship to get her master's in education and she did.

So this summer began the dreaded job search. What a hard time to be looking for a job. She decided she wanted to live in Nashville and applied to teach all over that area. She heard from a few schools and had some interviews and even though they all gave her great feedback, they all ended up hiring teachers with more experience. It was a frustrating summer with all the unknowns piling up around her. Finally, less than a week before school started for the kids she got a call from a school in Franklin. They wanted her to interview for a permanent sub position that would hopefully lead to a full time job at some point. She went to the interview and they hired her that day.

She called my mom and me and asked if we would come help her set up her classroom and we did. I was exciting to see her making decisions about the classroom and her students and also it was exciting because I knew she was going to be a great teacher. While we were there we met at least 3 teachers who had been hired after doing a permanent sub position, so I think she has a great chance of getting a job there in the fall. Things are going well with her new job, and I knew they would. Lauren, I am proud of you as a teacher and as a person, and I'm so glad you are my sister.

P.S. I couldn't forget this little side note. We were all elated when we found our her school's mascot is the tiger. In high school we were the Palmetto High Tigers and in college we were the Auburn Tigers....once a tiger always a tiger I guess.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

what a special blog post. I have the best, best daughters in the world. I am so proud of you both.
Love, Mom