Friday, May 15, 2009

What I've Been Working On

...these two sweet little smocked dresses. I'm embarrassed to say that I started smocking these dresses in the fall, around October, I think. Today I just finished smocking the sleeves and am finally finished! I generally only get to smock at night after the girls go to bed, which doesn't leave a ton of time each day plus there always seems to be so many things to do after the girls go to bed...clean up, blog, reply to email, sleep, organize coupons (more about that later), etc. I have found that I get into ruts and don't smock for weeks and then pick it up and work every night for awhile. Thankfully I know this pattern and I always buy ready to smock dresses for the next season so I have plenty of time. The girls will be able to wear this dress all summer and into the fall. I bought this fabric from Hobby Lobby and I sent it to Smocking Etc to have it constructed and pleated. Unfortunately I don't know how to sew so I have to get someone to do all the work. I'm really hoping to learn one day, but as of yet, it hasn't happened. I really enjoy smocking, but one hard thing has been that there aren't any smocking stores in Chattanooga. When I visit new towns, I'm always looking for smocking stores. I love getting ideas and also getting new plates. I haven't decided what my next project will be. I'll keep you posted.



Here's a close up view


4 comments:

Jen said...

My sister passed along this website to me that sells ready to smock items, so I'll pass it to you. http://www.marthapullen.com. Not sure if you've heard of Martha Pullen, but my MIL is very into smocking (even used to teach!) and is very familiar with Martha Pullen and said the quality of the construction should be very good. Now that my mom has 2 granddaughters (and one on the way!) she's revived her interest in smocking. She, like you, is not a sewer, so has to get help in the construction. You did a great job!

jeg said...

Adorable! The girls are going to look so cute in these! I love the new* blog background, btw.
*I have been reading all your entries via google reader, so I realize this new background may not be new, but it's the first time I've actually gone to your blog address in awhile!

becky bell said...

Great job! Very pretty! You need to learn to sew it's not as hard as it seems.

Rachel N. said...

WOW! I would love to know how to smock! Great Job.