Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Breaking and Entering

Today I had my scariest parenting moment thus far. I'm sure there will be many more, but I hope not again for awhile. It all started with me noticing the mail-lady driving down the street, and my instant need to get the mail. I had just finished nursing Bailey and she is laying naked on a waterproof pad to air out her still horrible diaper rash. Emma Catherine is playing near her. I unlock the front door and run the 10 or so steps it takes to get to our mailbox. I get the mail and run back to the front door. I push the handle to open the door, and it is locked, and Emma Catherine is standing inside looking at me. For those of you who know me, panic can come quickly so I try to stay calm. I plead with Emma Catherine to turn the lock to let me in. I could hear her trying to turn the lock but she can't turn it. I then tell her to go get her step stool and bring it to the door, which she does, but still no luck unlocking the door. By this time I really am starting to panic. (By the way, I am still in my pajamas) Since I know that our only neighbors are at work, I decide my only option is to go across the street and see if one of the construction workers that I've been complaining about for the past 2 weeks will come and help me. A very nice worker brings some credit cards over to try to help, which do not work. I use his phone to try to call Ryan and Ryan doesn't answer. Then the worker suggests my options are to either call a locksmith or he could break the lock off for me. I decide that breaking the lock will be the quickest option because I can hear Bailey crying in the living room. At this point Emma Catherine is oblivious to what is going on. She has started showing us her toys and building with her blocks. The worker goes and gets his tools, and finally after much work on his part, he gets the door open. Needless to say, we will now be hiding a spare key outside, and I will not be checking the mail until Emma Catherine is napping. Below is a picture of what our dead-bolt looks like now. Good thing I can laugh about this now because I was not laughing this morning.

1 comment:

carly rae said...

ummmm i nearly had a panic attack reading it. im glad it all worked out though.
love you guys!