Monday, August 15, 2011

Kindergarten

Emma Catherine had her first day of kindergarten today.  I'm not going to lie, it was tough for me, but she was thrilled and excited and giddy to be starting school.  The morning started with Emma Catherine's alarm clock going off at 6:30.  She came in my room half asleep and laid on the floor for a few minutes.  Then she quickly perked up and made her bed and got dressed.  She ate breakfast and then we went to the bus stop to meet the bus driver.  Emma Catherine is going to be riding the bus home from school and Ryan is going to take her to school in the mornings.  This morning we all took her to school.  We were able to walk her to the front door of the school and then the 5th grade ambassadors took her to her room.  As we walked up to the front door, I started crying.  She gave all of us hugs and I tried to hug her tight and she was ready to walk inside, and that was it.  She is now a kindergartener. 

I cried all the way back home and then Bailey and I kept busy.  We went to the park with friends, ran to a quick appointment, and went home for lunch and her nap.  At 3:00 I waited for Emma Catherine at her bus stop and she bounced off the bus.  For some reason I got teary again but I held it together. She told us her day was awesome and that she loved her school and teacher.  They did lots of fun activities, painting, a scavenger hunt, read books, sang, colored, and she got to eat school lunch. 
I actually know Emma Catherine's teacher from college and it is so funny how it worked out.  One of my prayers for Emma Catherine this year is for her to gain confidence in herself.  I also wrote that on her paperwork that asked for my goals for her this year.  At the parent meeting her teacher, Averee, told us that her job this year was to build confidence in her students, and if they leave her class without confidence then she has failed at her job.  I once again got teary (can you see the theme) when I realized that this was confirmation that this was exactly who was supposed to be Emma Catherine's teacher this year.  I am looking forward to the adventure of kindergarten, and an exciting year. 





1 comment:

Wanting What I Have said...

I completely understand how you feel!!! I cried and cried at Sister's first day of kindergarten. It's so bittersweet seeing them grow up!