Friday, December 12, 2008

Bailey's first trip...

...to the ER. Well, here we go again. It was not too long ago that Emma Catherine made her first trip to the ER and last night I was back with Bailey. Last night my precious Bailey was crawling around the kitchen while I was cooking dinner and Emma Catherine was throwing a fit over cleaning up. I was just about to get our dinner out of the oven and I opened the oven and then turned around to try to diffuse Emma Catherine's fit. Why I did not go ahead and get the casserole out of the oven, close the oven, and then turn to Emma Catherine, I will never know, and I will always feel horrible and sick to my stomach about what happened next (because of my carelessness). I'm sure you can see the writing on the wall...Bailey pulled up on the open oven door and burned the whole palm of her right hand. When I realized what I had done, I turned around to see her standing there and I grabbed her up. It's a miracle that both hands were not burned because they were both on the oven, but only her right hand burned. At first we weren't sure how bad it was, but we soon realized she needed to see a doctor so I raced her to Children's hospital. She cried most of the way there, which was agonizing for me because there was nothing I could do. As I drove I felt horrible because I knew I had caused her not to be able to suck her beloved right thumb, which is the only thing that soothes her. By the time we arrived she had cried herself to sleep, and she was very calm. The nurses that checked us in were very surprised at how calm she was acting. Once again we had a great experience and all the nurses and doctors were great with her and with me. I was crying and they were so kind and reassuring to me. Bailey has 2nd degree burns on her right hand and they gave her a special cream to put on the burns twice a day. We also have to keep it wrapped up for at least a week. I'm really not sure how she is going to sleep without her thumb. She has never used her other thumb or a paci. She did sleep last night but before we left the hospital, they gave her a dose of Tylenol with codeine, so it knocked her out. Nap time may be interesting for awhile.

Bailey has been doing well this morning. She is moving by using her elbow on the right side and she is still trying to pull up. I have to be careful though because she doesn't have great balance and she falls easily. I thought she may have been fussy, but so far this morning she hasn't really been fussy at all. Poor girl, my heart just breaks for her because I know everything is more difficult for her. We would definitely appreciate prayers for her, that it will heal quickly, that she will not be in pain, that there will not be scarring, that she will be able to sleep, that there will be no infection (that is a concern with any burn), and that there will be no motor development issues with her hand or fingers.

Our family cannot seem to stay out of the doctors office/hospital these days. Since Emma Catherine's ER visit, Bailey had an ear infection, I had a bad sinus infection (that still hasn't fully gone away), Emma Catherine had walking pneumonia, and on Wednesday Bailey was at the doctor because she has pink eye. It has definitely been crazy to say the least.

On the way home last night as I was praying to the Lord for Bailey and thanking him that she was going to be okay. The Lord brought to my mind some friends of ours, the Grubbs. Garrett was the youth pastor at Ridgecrest while we were there, and he now lives in Albany, GA and is the youth pastor at Sherwood Baptist. (The church that made the movies, Facing the Giants and Fireproof) Their new baby, Gabe, is fighting for his life. He was born very premature and having some complications. I thought, "Lord, my baby got burned and it was a horrible thing, but at least she is alive and doing great, and my friends are praying for their baby to live." I cried out for baby Gabe and the entire Grubbs family, and I am praying that God will completely heal baby Gabe. Will you join me in praying that for this family?
These are pictures of her hand wrap. In the first picture, it looks like she is showing it off. In the 2nd picture, she is still smiling, which makes mommy happy.

2 comments:

Amy Lewis said...

Oh my goodness, thankfully it wasn't worse! We will keep Bailey and little Gabe in our thoughts and prayers!

The Zevacs said...

i hope bailey's hand is doing ok now! the same thing happened to luke when he was real little, and i completely freaked out and grabbed him up when i realized what had happened. he started crying so hard and i just knew it was bad....but there was nothing there. not one tiny burn. i couldn't believe it. turns out he was crying b/c of how badly i had scared him with my own reaction! God does protect our little ones, doesn't he? hope ya'll have a merry Christmas!